The Story of Jack

April 25th, 2011

Jackson Bradford Dillon
April 2, 2011
2:43 am
8lbs, 8.2oz
20 inches

The last two weeks leading up to Jack’s birth were an emotional roller coaster. The first week, my midwife checked me and I was at 3cm. She said it may be another week, it may not. Monday of the second week came, and I was at 5cm. My midwife laughed and told me to get my rest, because this baby would be here any day. I was ecstatic!

Friday, Brad and I went to Ikea (in hopes of helping gravity to get things moving) and dinner, while Nevaeh stayed with my mom for the night. The whole evening I felt funny, and it kept going through my head that this was going to be the day.

We got home after dinner and were laying in bed getting ready to call it a night. I was checking out my pregnancy forums, like usual, and had just read a story about a woman’s water breaking that night and was wondering if mine would, since it didn’t with Nevaeh. I closed the app, and almost immediately, I felt a huge gush of warm fluid. There was no mistaking what it was. Then the excitement began!

I called my doula, Nadine, to let her know. I hadn’t had any painful contractions, so she said to rest and to let her know when they started getting uncomfortable, because we needed to get to the hospital. Everyone predicted it would be a quick labor and they didn’t want to take any chances. Of course, I was too excited to rest, so I took a shower, did my hair and make-up, and waited.

The contractions suddenly hit like a ton of bricks. I started timing them, while Brad got dressed and made himself some coffee. They started at 4 minutes apart, lasting a minute. I told Brad that I wanted to have five or ten before we left. For some reason, I still had it in my head that it might not be time yet. Brad said, no, we’re leaving now.

We arrived at the hospital at the exact time as Nadine. My contractions were now every couple of minutes and, oh yes, they were all in my back. Back labor, for yet a second time! She helped us make our way to labor and delivery, stopping to put pressure on my back when I was having a contraction. The nurses were getting my room ready and I overheard one say to another, “we better hurry, she’s going to have this baby soon”. I was shaking really bad with every contraction and was already feeling the urge to push.

My midwife, Diane Tandy, arrived and I was dilated to 6cm. I was so upset, because I thought it would be forever before I reached 10cm. She kept insisting to the nurses that they needed to fill the tub for me, but they wouldn’t, because the baby had not had the two heart accelerations and two decelerations that they require before allowing me in the tub. My midwife was explaining to them that he had descended too low and they weren’t going to get the strip they wanted, but they would not budge. At this point I was begging for an epidural. Every contraction was entirely in my back and I didn’t think I could take any more. I felt like I was being tortured. So Diane manually turned the baby to get his head off of my back. Amazingly, I could feel the relief as she did it, but I still wanted an epidural. Diane and Brad kept telling me that I didn’t want it and that I could do this. Diane was amazing. She kept talking to me right next to my face and had me focus on her during my contractions. I kept feeling the urge to push and she whispered in my ear to push if I wanted to. Her calmness and ability to totally take over were amazing. The whole time, I only heard her voice.

The epidural team came in to get my blood and start the bag of fluids (note- the nurses weren’t exactly caring about my birth plan at this point, so they called for the epidural). Diane said, let me check you first. She checked me and said, you’re at 10cm, lets have this baby! I was shocked. So she sent the epidural team on their way and got me set up to start pushing.

Pushing was what I was scared of most, before I went into labor. I had no idea what it would feel like and was scared it would hurt worse than the contractions. And frankly, I was terrified at the idea of tearing. But once I heard her say I could start pushing, I couldn’t wait. I knew it would be the end of the terrible contractions and I’d get to see our boy. I started pushing and felt every bit of it. I wouldn’t say it was painful, surprisingly. At that point, I was so focused on getting him out that maybe I just didn’t notice the pain, but it certainly wasn’t what I was expecting. After five minutes of pushing, his head came out and his cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Diane just unwrapped it and told me to push again for the shoulders. As his shoulders came out, she told me to reach down and pull my baby out. Without hesitation I pulled him right out and on to my chest. It was amazing. He was here and I had done it.

Brad and I sat there in awe of our boy. He looked like he belonged to us and he looked so much like his big sister. The nurses disappeared and it was just us with my mom, Diane and Nadine, chatting about the whirlwind that just occurred. Diane chuckled and said I wasn’t really at 10cm when she told me I was. She said I was almost there, but not quite. She knew that I was determined to go naturally and I needed that little bit of encouragement to push me through to the finish line. Diane and Nadine were amazing. They came together and helped carry me through the hardest and most amazing thing I will ever do in my life. With their help, Brad was able to be at my side, knowing I was being taken care of.

About an hour after giving birth I was up and ready to get moving. I didn’t feel like I had just given birth. I guess part of it was a hormonal high, but I felt exhilarated. It was one of the most amazing and surreal moments of my life and I felt so proud.

Leave a Reply